Friday, May 29, 2009

Stage 41 - Västbacka

Today's beautiful weather more than made up for yesterday's misery - cold and sunny early, then just sunny blue skies until about 2pm, when it clouded over.

The course is now (and will be for another two weeks) straight along the E45. Well, not exactly straight - there are continuous and often very steep hills. I felt good for the first 30 miles, but started to feel very weary over the last 20, as the uphills and downhills took their toll on hamstrings and quadriceps respectively.

This morning's most priceless quote from a non-English speaker: "I run easy today...I can feel my hamsters already".

We're staying in cabins again tonight, then back to sports halls tomorrow (which I prefer - usually more space). Traffic was busy today - I think it's because June is Swedish vacation month, and lots of people were getting a jump on the weekend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you had some nice weather. I really enjoyed the videos Mike uploaded. Loved the HOOK 'EM you gave him too! And of course you're still smiling!

I hope tomorrow's weather is equally as nice!
Nedra

MW said...

Nice running Russ.
I added your Mantra to my pace bands.
Should be warm weather Saturday and Sunday for you. (I've been watching the weather!)

I hope my hamster doesnt go nuts on me!

Anonymous said...

Hi Russ
When Raife told me you were already on day 40 I said - 'Of what?' and when he said you were doing the trans Europe I said - 'Is he insane?' I have distinct memories of you during the Trans Gaulle saying that you would never do another....
I have to hand it to you, what an amazing physical and mental achievement. I hope youre looking after yourself, your feet and your pelvis.
Keep smiling
Victoria