Saturday, May 16, 2009

Stage 28 - Gebhardshagen

Stage 28 complete - that's 4 weeks done! On one hand, it feels like we've travelled so incredibly far - 1,200 miles (we've averaged 300 miles a week, a daunting number). On the other, we're not even halfway - gulp. But, as ever, one day at a time...

Today surprised me. I had a silent dread of its 48 miles, and early hilly going through the Harz Mountains. But for reasons I can't explain, I got into a comfortable pace, and felt strong most of the day.

I finished with three Germans - Klaus, Bernt and Joachim. By coincidence, they were wearing yellow, red and black shirts. From about a mile away, they looked like a German flag! When I caught them after the last aid station, my blue Rogue t-shirt broke up the symmetry.

Two experienced runners abandoned before today's stage started, bringing the total to 14, I think. Hans Damm (who I met during Deutschlandlauf 2007) had problems with a high fever. I'm not sure why the other person withdrew - sometimes people have just had enough mentally.

Rainer Koch continues to dominate the men's race, while Hiroko Yokihama is doing the same to the women's field. The leaders work awfully hard each day to keep their places. The strain is visible on at least three of them, who are clearly fighting injuries or fatigue. Me, I'm quite happy to be doggin' along in the peleton. "Langsam und bequem" - slow and comfortable.

2 comments:

Tom beam said...

Sounds like a losers attitude. Unless you're just lulling them into a false sense of security. I like it.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a more comfortable day and a better place to sleep. The race cuisine looks mighty fine! Perhaps you can duplicate some of your favorite menu items for us when you get home??? Take care.
June