Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stage 26 - Waldkappel

Forty more miles today, not too many big hills and kind weather. I felt strong early in the day, but started to feel very tired by noon. The last three hours seemed interminable; I was grateful for the company of Christian Marti, who conversely had felt sluggish early but finished strong. All that I can predict is unpredictability!

We have seven more days in Germany - 5 long and 2 relatively short. My list to the left of a few days ago has changed to a similarly pronounced list to the right - I have absolutely no idea what's up with that. Otherwise, things are holding up OK. Food has slowly but steadily improved, my water retention problems have receded, and there's little trace left of my cold. Tonight's gym is spacious, the showers were hot, I'm eating a tin of mackerel and a KitKat, and so life is just about as good as it gets on the road.

8 comments:

Barbara-Anne said...

Your progress is unbelievable! What's your mantra?

Unknown said...

List to the left, list to the right, sounds like a cheer! pretty soon you should come back to the center cause weebles wabble but they don't fall down. Rock on my friend, you are awesome.
Cathy Bridge

Jim H. said...

Keep it up! Us OF's need the inspiration!

Claire said...

Ummmmmm tin of mackerel and a KitKat, sounds so yummy.
You may have started a new trend in running recovery foods!
Like Cathy said...weebles wabble but they don't fall down.
Run weeble wabble, run!!!

Love ya Claire

Unknown said...

This vegetarian is more than a bit freaked out about the thought of you eating mackerel out of a tin.

Perhaps we could return to pictures of your feet? :)

Eat another kitkat and do good tomorrow! I'm cheering for you!

~amy johnson brotman

Val said...

Keep Calm and Carry On!

Unknown said...

Here is a collection of old-school Weeble-wobbles. http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/af222/WEEBLES/list.htm
The collection is pretty complete, but clearly missing the best one of all Super-duper-ueber-ultramarathoner Russ Secker!

Weeble-wobbles were my favorite toy as a kid. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Keep up the good work, Russ!

Anonymous said...

Russ,
I have been thinking about your listing. I couldn't figure out what it was with just the left list - but then the right list showed up and I figured it out. It's not that your legs or back are tired or weak. I think it's that gradually each of your legs is getting super strong, causing a list until the other leg catches up. This is caused by a very rare condition that only a few super people, such as yourself, has that makes their legs very strong - It's called, "A whole lot of Ass Kicking." Kick on, Sir, Kick on.

clint