Monday, May 11, 2009

Stage 23 - Prosselsheim

The last "killer day" - for now - is done. Another 51-miler complete. Two more tough cookies abandoned the race today, making 12 of the original 68 starters now back home with loved ones. While I envy them that, abandoning is very tough, especially after having suffered for 3 weeks.

Before today's stage started, the heavens opened for 2 hours. Magically though, 5 minutes before our 6am start, the rain gods relented, and we only got intermittent drizzle all day. The course took us over the Main river at Würzburg, a beautiful old town I'd like to have seen more of.

Just before we hit town, we were running on a cycle path, and a police car pulled up beside me. (I've never been pulled over by the police during a race before!) I explained our journey, and was sent on with a cheery wave. It can be a dangerous approach - one of the other runners did the same in Northern Italy, and was nearly arrested, as the story sounds so implausibe.

Two observations for today - cuckoos and solar panels. Both are everywhere here in Southern Germany. While the cuckoos are charming, the solar panels are not. While I applaud the greenness, they look just awful on old terra cotta rooves. And because we're headed north, we see every one as they all face south. Sorry, but a 17th century half-timbered barn doesn't look good covered in grey panels.

OK, a quick dinner before another night under canvas - the hall is small and very cramped.

8 comments:

Claire said...

Are you sure you are really running across Europe?? I just got off the phone with you and you sounded wonderful, full of cheeriness and sounding strong! I must admit I was a bit worried what I would hear as I dialed the phone! So whatever you are doing keep it up!!
Love ya Claire

Anonymous said...

Go Russ Go! (ok, go slowly and easily)

I just looked at the map, and the last time I checked you were in northern Italy - now you're in upper Germany! Dang.

Make sure you are getting tons of carbs.
You, sir, are quite literally, rocking the planet. Nice.

dmmmit

MW said...

I'm sorry I didn't update you sooner, as I'm sure you've been waiting impatiently to hear that Brewster McCracken and Lee Leffingwell are headed to a runoff in the Mayoral elections.
; )

Keep up the great work, Russ. Way to get through those mountain stages!

Charles said...

I am no longer going to read your blog before going to bed. I got NO sleep dreaming about your journey across Europe. Its funny, I knew I was you and not me but I'm still tired...

ann said...

Woohoo! Another long day in the books. Congratulations! I appreciate you taking the time to blog and put up pictures. While I was lucky enough to visit Germany while I was in high school, I'll never have the opportunity to see it the way you are. Thanks for sharing! Run on Russ!!

Val said...

Way to go, chief!

Your physical and mental stamina are nearly incomprehensible to me. I'm so proud of your every step!

Hey, we are looking for some european fabric distributors. Let me know if you see any prospects on the way. You'll get a good commission! Yes, I'm kidding...sort of.

Your Pal Val

muna said...

So, Russ, are you wearing a Garmin? Your mileage looks suspiciously even every day. :) Just kidding. You're amazing! Keep on getting it done!

Markus said...

Hi Russel,

You are doing pretty good. For now the though stages are over.

And the first 3 weeks are the hardest anyway. Soon your feet will heal and your will get stronger again.

I still remember Prosselsheim with the tiny clubhouse from the Trans Germany Race 1998. The board of the club served the excellent Food. Spagetti of course :-) and a very good salat.

Russel keep on running.

Markus
Colorado