Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stage 38 - Lesjöfors

A great day...despite having to run two marathons! At just over halfway, I was met by my Austin friend Mike. His father is Swedish, and Mike's here on vacation, visiting family and running the Stockholm marathon on Saturday. He chose to celebrate his birthday drivng several hours from Stockholm, and then running 15K of today's course with me. It lifted my spirits no end.

To make things even finer, he left a wonderful care package for me at the finish, replete with loads of fresh salmon (already eaten!), other comestibles, a replacement GPS from Claire, and a ton of well-wishing cards from family and friends. Thank you all so very much! I will read some every night, to keep me feeling positive about the difficult miles still ahead.

Tomorrow's a shorter day - only 40 miles - so I'm looking forward to an early finish. We have two more days on the E26, before it becomes the E45. Truck traffic seemed lighter today, a trend that should continue as we head north. It rained at the end of today's stage, and more is forecast for tomorrow, but we've been generally so lucky with the weather so far that no-one's complaining.

3 comments:

Alma said...

Sounds like you had a good day :)

Unknown said...

It's always fun running with Mike. I know he was great entertainment for you. If you were really lucky, he told you the joke about the bus and the river.

You look great! Keep heading north and stay out of the way of the trucks. You'll be at Nordkapp before you know it!

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading all of your updates. It sounds like things are going great! Hang in there and keep up the positive thoughts. I look forward to a celebratory Thai food lunch back in Austin in a few weeks!

Take care,
Lisa M.