Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Stage 24 - Weissenbach

Twenty-four stages done, over 1,000 miles run. Today's run was not too long, but very wet, cold and hilly towards the end. Our overnight accommodations are, well, appalling. I'm sharing a 15x15ft space with 4 noisy Japanese and 3 angry Germans. Man. The showers are apparently cold, and nerves are getting pretty frayed (not mine, you understand!). Four of the race leaders got lost this morning - they were not happy when they finally caught up with the rest of the field - and that always gets folks riled up. I'm praying that tonight's dinner is OK, but I'm not holding my breath.

My Garmin (GPS) continues to be a godsend. It allows me to know distance travelled at any point in the day. Psychologically, that's a surprisingly big help. I've ceased taking an interest in features like average pace, because it is so irrelevant.

Parts of me continue to hurt at all times - one or both feet, right knee, hip, hamstring - the list doesn't change, nor do I expect it to, as there's no time or chance for recovery. But I do feel mentally strong. It's exciting to think that we'll complete Germany in only 9 more days.

7 comments:

Adam Hanin said...

Russell:

Keep on going. Stay strong and focused!

Unknown said...

You continue to amaze me. Upward and onward my friend. Cathy Bridge

The Ogden's said...

Russell, you are amazing!!!
I love to read your updates and am cheering for you here in Austin!

Rachel

MW said...

Well Russ, what can i say...
Another day where you kicked butt!

Austin politics never ceases to surprise. Just a couple of hours after I told you about a runoff, Brewster McCracken conceded, meaning Lee Leffingwell (man who claims to run 5 miles a day) will be Austin's mayor.
Bet you can ponder that one for a few miles. So this concludes my politics series. I'll think of some other topic for ya.

Not sure if you care about cycling, but there was a big shakeup in the Giro d'italia today as they reached the mountains and a Swede has taken the lead by 2 seconds! Lance and Levi Leipheimer are lurking in 5th and 6th just a couple dozen seconds back.

Keep up the good work!
Do you wear socks?
(you're right, those solar panels are ugly. I wonder if it takes them completely "off the grid year round"?

Unknown said...

Nice job, Russ. I look forward to checking on your progress each day and reading about your adventures. You are so inspiring. The next time I'm thinking, wow, this heat in Austin sux, I'm going to remind myself that it's nothing compared to the trials your enjoying. I'm sending you good thoughts each day. Keep up the good work, Nordkapp is worth the journey! (although I've only taken a ship there, not run there)

Ken said...

Gooooood Job Russ. It has been fun following your run from Austin. I love to pics you send back. Keep on keepin on.

ann said...

It's great to hear your spirits are up despite the challenges you face. That's quite a few people sharing your space tonight. Hope that goes well. You're right about those solar panels, they sure do spoil the alpine vistas. 1,000 miles is amazing! Have a great day tomorrow!