Thursday, May 28, 2009

Stage 40 - Mora

Wow, forty stages done! It's hard to believe. I'm enjoying the best hour of the day - flat on my back, showered and changed, eating, drinking, and blogging.

Today's weather forecast was, let's just say, off the mark. It called for light breezes, some sun, and temps in the 60's. What did we actually get? Torrential rain all morning, bitterly cold headwinds all day, and after lunch hail. Fortunately I'd kept my Goretex jacket at the start; even with it, I was only a couple of degrees north of hypothermia. Note to self - ignore forecasts and dress warm. At least I fared better than some who took the T-shirt option this morning.

Most of the run felt good, but I did have a few spells when my hip, hamstring and sciatic nerve let me know that they didn't want to continue. Very painful. My cold is waning, so that's proving less troublesome. OK, enough whining!

My friend Mike has posted some video from his visit on Tuesday - check out http://www.youtube.com/russrunseurope. (I haven't been able to see it on my primitive technology here.) I wish him well for Saturday's Stockholm marathon.

Tomorrow is my Dad's birthday - have a very happy birthday, Dad! Thanks for everything, not least for the genes that are letting me get this crazy thing done! Have a great and restful day - I'll be thinking of you as we head slowly north.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So great to hear you and see you on video. You look strong, happy and confident!

Anonymous said...

So great to hear you and see you on video. You look strong, happy and confident! Hang tough!
Margaret

Adrianne Argumaniz said...

Hang in there, Russell! You're almost finished.

Anonymous said...

Russell, I caught up on your blog today. Can't wait to sit you down for a proper interview for the paper when you get back. You are amazing. Glad to hear you are no longer listing to one side. And that 3K swim? Now THAT sounds like fun to me!!
Take care, be safe, we are all rooting for you here in Austin.

Anonymous said...

Hello Russ - have been following your blog on and off with increasing admiration. The video adds a really nice touch. I am not sure if the physical or mental challenge is the greater. Best wishes. Dave and Joan Beanland

Markus said...

Hi Russell,

You are looking great on the video.
Say hello to Helmut Schicke from me.
He pulled me through the Nullarbor Desert in Australia, which is pretty much the opposite of where you are running. No trees vs. millions of trees but the same straight roads.

Keep on running
Markus

muna said...

Huge thanks to Mike for the videos! They give a nice slice of the day's stage. Russell, you look fantastic! Your running is so steady and smooth, and you look like it is easy. That was very cool to see. Keep up the great work! Go go go! :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds like Decker Challenge weather. Way to keep trucking!
June

Anonymous said...

Ruus you mad man - just popped into my head & thought I'd check..wow 40 + days on the run. you never fail to impress me with your determination - go hard, go long, go strong

Raife