Friday, May 08, 2009

Stage 20 - Pfaffenhausen

Today's 40 miles was a relative breeze compared to the three 50 mile days ahead. The weather was good, the terrain was rolling but not truly hilly, and the Bavarian natives were friendly. The sportshall we call home tonight is delightfully spacious and modern, with fully functional hot showers.

Like most of us here, I feel very, very weary. By close of business tomorrow, we will have run 880 miles in 3 weeks. That's probably why!

I felt OK today, but I have developed a worrying, unconscious list to the left as I run. Some things - sailors' hats, for example - look good at a jaunty angle. Runners don't though. I think my body is trying to protect my injured right hip, hamstrings and sciatic nerve, but it's a little freaky, especially because I'm unaware of it until I see my shadow or reflection. Oh well, a new thing to work on tomorrow.

Something tells me it's Friday (days here don't really mean anything, except maybe with regard to traffic), so have a great weekend doing whatever normal people do - i.e., not running 100 miles!

6 comments:

Charles said...

Russ: I have never known the exact cause of your list, but tell the medic about it. It is a common symptom and the runner is totally unaware of it and powerless to correct it. I think it is related to hydration adn liver function but am not certain. The good news is I don't know of any serious or long term injury as a result. WIshing you the best of continued success. I'm thouroughly enjoying your journey!

Tony Romagna said...

Russ, amazing pictures and an awesome achievement, keep it up, the word is spreading the list of Colorado delegates is growing on the Secker blog...

Helen Yang said...

I'm torn between admiration and awe of what you are doing and thinking that you are the craziest man I know! Enjoy the journey. You are an inspiration.

chuckd said...

Sounds like you are doing great Russ. Keep up the good work. Keep on, keeping on....

Thanks for posting every day. Great to be able to follow you virtually.

Adam Hanin said...

Keep it up Russ - we're all proud of you. And keep (leaning) right... it'll straighten you out. Or better yet, be sure to have the medic look at you. Will be thinking of you this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Russ, to compensate for your list to the left, you should run with a mug of beer in your right hand. Bavarian beer. It makes a difference. You'll be so worried about spilling it that you'll run more smoothly! Or, listen to Geezer.
God Speed, Friend!

Ed B.