Saturday, May 23, 2009

Stage 35 - Kvänum

Today's long stage (51 miles) is followed by an even longer one (54 miles) tomorrow. I managed to finish not long after 4pm today (10 hours of running - trust me, that's a long time to be on your feet), which means that my speed is marginally improving. As I've mentioned before, my only interest in speed is that getting done earlier gives me more time to rest and recover for the next day.

The day started very cold and bleak, but the rain held off, and by midday we had a very nice day on our hands. (It was light when we awoke at 4am - I've no idea what time it gets dark, as that's way after my bedtime!) We're passing through gently rolling farmland with occasional villages along the way. It's nice at this time of year, but I imagine that the winters can be awfully long and depressing. All the locals we meet along the way are very kind and friendly - the best, most curious reception yet.

As today was Stage 35, we're officially 5 weeks done, with only 4 left. Still a very long way to go, but it does feel like major, if ever so slow, progress.

4 comments:

Jeff French said...

You're doing outstanding, Russ. I'm amazed at your determination as I read your blog each morning.

muna said...

You're on the downhill side of this, Russ! AND feeling better and running faster. Woohoo!!

Anonymous said...

Russ, I have a Shiner Bock chilling in the fridge for your return! (I may drink it, but I'll replace it).

Ed B.

dmmmit said...

I can hear Russ coaching runners, after this is all over:

Russ: "We recommend long slow mileage. It will build you up and you'll get faster."
Trainees: "Oh yeah, Coach, what have you done lately?"
Russ: "Um, well, I just ran 64 days in a row, average 45 miles per day..."
Trainees: "... (open mouth, crickets chirping)"
Next week they come back
Trainees: "Yeah, that long slow mileage is good, but you're old, and now just run slow all the time, right? What do you do in a 5K?"
Russ: "Um, well, anything under 20 is OK..."
Trainees: "... (open mouth, crickets chirping)"