Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Stage 39 - Vansbro

A third day on the good ol' E26. This was the best of them, with much less traffic and practically zero population. There's almost nothing except logging going on in this area. Skies were very black today, but we received only a couple of light soakings. It was very cold and windy too. The absence of sunshine, and the many black lakes and rivers (due to peat washing into them), gave the place quite a depressing feeling.

The route was a shade over 40 miles, and I was happily finished before 3pm. Right now, I'm lying on my mattress eating beef jerky and macadamia nuts from my care package, washed down with alcohol-free beer. Ahhhh! 25 days left.

5 comments:

Tom Beam said...

Good thing you're there during summer. In winter, it can be very depressing.

Sadie J said...

Way to go Russ! Sounds like you are still in good spirits, despite the gloomy day. We're all behind you!

Tom Beam said...

And whose sick idea was it to send non-alcoholic beer? I'll have a case of Lone Star waiting for you at the end.

Unknown said...

I've been following your posts since mid-May. I was seated next to your wife on the Houston-London flight on 3 May 2009. She gave me your 'Running Across Countries' card. I was not aware of this type of 'adventure' until then. Keep it up Russ and keep sharing the adventure. Very cool Russ.

MW said...

for the record, I did not bring any non-alcoholic (or alcoholic for that matter) beer to him. I assume he got that from Helmut, the beer guy!