Saturday, May 09, 2009

Stage 21 - Nattheim

As predicted, today was physically very tough - 50 hilly miles which took over 11 hours to complete. It was hard psychologically too, as we have two more days straight ahead with the same length and "degree of difficulty".

My "listing to the left" didn't get worse today, but my back has become quite painful. My theory is that my muscles are slowly wasting, due to inadequate recovery time and diet. One look at my biceps confirms this - they looked weak and wizened despite working hard all day. And so my back and core muscles aren't able to give my spine the support it needs.

What to do? Well, apart from just sucking it up, I'll continue to try and find more protein each day. As far as recuperation goes, there are no options there - rest is all I do when I'm not eating or running. Lying flat as I am right now writing this definitely feels good.

For positive stuff...the Bavarian scenery continues to impress. Everything is as ever spotless here. Even the cows appear freshly bathed and smelling of roses. It is a surreal corner of the world - litter-free, manicured, and ever so slightly anodyne. It would be an odd place to call home.

And we're 3 weeks done! Some tough days ahead, but I'll be a happy camper when I get on the overnight ferry in Kiel headed for Scandinavia in 12 days time!

10 comments:

kirsten said...

I continue to be impressed and amazed by your tenacity. 3 weeks running mega miles with no break...you are awesome. Keep up the great work, rest when you can and keep dreaming of the Texas rib eye you can have when you get home.

Claire said...

How about grabbing one of those good smelling cows and having a Texas sized BBQ....srsly, hope you get some protein soon. How's the cough?
On the plus side, you are a 3rd of the way done! Woot
You are amazin'
Love Claire

Unknown said...

You need a big old Snickers candy bar dude! Hang tight we're sending you all the good juju possible. Certainly can't put into words how in awe I am.
Rock on Russ!
Cathy Bridge

MW said...

Stay strong Russ!
You are awesome! And go find you a good piece of meat!!

Amy said...

The miles have miracles. Seek them.

Kami K. said...

I second Claire's suggestion!

You ROCK!

Kami

Lee S. said...

Go Russ Go!

Diana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana said...

Hope those feet resting high on your luggage mound & keep the protein, potassium, electrolytes comin'!
You are doing AWESOME!!!
Great job Russ!

ant said...

3 weeks!!! That's about amazing as it gets. Until you complete, as you have, ANOTHER DAY!

Keep it up Russ!