Thursday, May 21, 2009

Stage 33 - Kiel

Greetings from Kiel! Here I am, fresh from coffee and cake with the mayor in the Ratskeller, and now waiting to board our enormous ship to Sweden. I'm proud to have just completed my second (and last!) crossing of Germany on foot.

What a strange day this is in Germany. It's Ascension Day, Fathers' Day, and a public holiday. To celebrate, older people cycle around, while groups of young men in their 20's and 30's walk around with handcarts full of beer. I'd had this described to me, but I couldn't imagine it until I witnessed it for myself. How bizarre.

Our 34-mile stage felt good for me today. Little trouble from sciatica, the course was beautiful, the weather fine, and the hills not too steep. Let's hope the crossing is smooth - skies have just turned dark and rain has started.

Sweden starts tomorrow, and will take 25 days to cross. It's hard to believe that so many of us have made it this far.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a large boat! Surely they have a spa where you can get pampered a bit on the way to Sweden. You've definitely earned a little pampering!

Have fun in Sweden. Keep up the good work!

Alma said...

This large boat must also have a nice dinner BUFFET in store for you....

Barb Wise said...

Hi Russell! Barb Wise here from sunny Texas. Your trip is amazing and I enjoy reading about your journey immensely. That you can provide updates when you must be exhausted is amazing and much appreciated. Keep up the good work, you're doing GREAT!

Markus said...

Well done so far Russell,

Fathers Day is indeed a strange thing in Germany. I never understood it and also not every German men is doing it.

Enjoy the ferry trip.

Markus
A German in Colorado


PS: I hope they have a running trainer on board ;-)

And here is the boat:
http://www.stenaline.de/faehren/fahrplan-tarife/skandinavien/kiel-goeteborg/

Tom Beam said...

Older people cycling around and young people with beer? So the Secker family DOES have German roots...

MW said...

BUFFET TIME!

Anonymous said...

Sweden -- wow. Congrats. I imagine it will be strange riding on a ship. I hope you get to put yor feet up for a while -- and get a Swedish massage. Best, Barbara R

JiBi said...

Hi Russell*,
Great job for these 2231 km from Bari and your second successfull German crossing (plus 1 crossing of France too !).
Good luck to you and to the full group of 51 runners + volonteers for the boat trip and the Scandinavian adventure.
I wish I was there !

Anonymous said...

Hi Russel,

Father's Day in Germany a strange thing? Drinking beer is Germany's favorite sport - besides soccer, of course.

And some people think crossing Europe in 64 days by foot is a strange thing, too!

Kidding aside: Good luck for the rest of the way from the owner of the motorvan with the nicest little party-point of the TEFR.

Keep muddling throug!

Peter

Cheryl said...

Hi Russ! Incredible job so far! I tell your story to everyone I meet. It's too amazing to even wrap my head around especially as I'm in that bizarre post marathon pre next event funk. :-)

I'm glad you're getting a little TLC on the big boat. My family and I are heading out to Madrid, Spain for a week's vacation after school is out next week but my husband and I will be doing easy running.

Stay strong and eat up!