Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Stage 31 - Trittau

The very best reception yet, in this little town somewhere east of Hamburg. After 43 miles, as we arrived in town, we were met by our respective national anthems and groups of schoolkids with our flags, who led us to the finish line, where a band was playing and kids were doing gymnastics routines. Free, abundant, delicious food, happy people, and autograph-hungry kids. And hot showers! Life is good today, especially with three shorter stages ahead.

Health report: My feet are doing much better, as my "water weight" has returned to normal. My list has abated, and I'm practically vertical. Blood pressure is back to 120 over 80. The only niggle right now is a problem with the sciatic nerve in my right leg, which on uneven surfaces (and there are lots) sends pains shooting down my leg, and reduces me to a temporary hobble.

Garmin (GPS) report: dead! I dropped it leaving the shower. Cr%p!

And finally - Hey Jude - huge congrats to my friends Ramsay and Amy on their new arrival. Feels like the young man will be in college before I get back to Austin to see him!

10 comments:

MW said...

Finally a reception worthy of your exploits!
See you in a week!

Charles said...

The Rogue forum currently has a lively ongoing discussion on the use and abuse of GPS. I can't decide if I would really want to know how much further I had each day of your trek or not. Maybe MikeW can bring you a replacement unit?! Am loving your posts, kepp on keeping on Russ!

Debbie said...

Remember when we all ran with GPS's? Somehow we all survived. But I wouldn't want to do what you are doing without it!

Unknown said...

My hero...still. You're awesome Russ! Cathy Bridge

kirsten said...

Keep up the trek Russ. Sounds like today was a really good day. GPS saves gas money...you don't have to drive your running loop to see how far you went.

Peter Poulin said...

Glad to hear the feet are doing better, and you are getting vertical. Your posts reflect your mental toughness, and I am certain this will continue to carry you forward. Hope your journey continues to find warm receptions and hot showers!

MTucker said...

Russell, Based on your GPS history this year, I am starting to believe that I should buy some Garmin stock! ;)

-Tucker

Yoda said...

Russell, forget the Garmin, use the force...

Alma said...

Russ...you don't need no stinking GPS...your mental toughness will keep you going...

Val said...

Haiku for GPS

It's handy, for sure
but Russell will keep going
float across Europe