Friday, May 15, 2009

Stage 27 - Ebergötzen

So how's this for counterpoint?

A long and extremely hilly day, many poor road surfaces with nasty cambers, very sore feet, an annoying lean to the right that everyone comments on, grey skies with on-and-off rain, and a 42-mile stage that turns out to be over 44.

Then, at the finish line, a German band, bratwurst aplenty, kids asking for autographs, and hot showers.

Today was very tough, but at least the ending was happy. My body is feeling very tired and beaten up after so many days on the road, and I had to work very hard for nearly 10 hours to keep in positive mental territory. The next four long days will be challenging, but I understand that after tomorrow's Hartz Mountains (not just a brand of flea and tick powder, apparently!), things start to get flatter.

Sorry about the whining. My mantra today and every day, to answer Barbara-Anne's post, is "relax and float". That's what I focus on whether or not things are going well. Being relaxed is obviously critical for an event of this duration. And floating is my mental way of picturing making all my energy work horizontally, not vertically (i.e., bouncing). Sounds a bit hippy-dippy, but I do like to keep pushing some simple, positive thoughts to the front of my mind, to displace the negative ones that try and sneak in.

Wow, I just realized that it's Friday - again! Enjoy your weekends.

6 comments:

Adam Hanin said...

Russell:

We're all pulling for you. Keep up the positive imagery and your strength, and focus on Scandinavia!

Best,

-Adam

Anonymous said...

yeah, go Russ! Heck, if I look at my globe correctly, once you get into Norway, it's all downhill to the Arctic Circle :)

dmmmit

Laura H. said...

Go, Russell, go! We are all rooting for you as we sit in our little cubes this Friday afternoon.

Laura

Christy said...

Whine if you want to Russ. Glad the ending was nice today. Yay hot showers! I might ask for your autograph when you get back!

Kelvin Marshall said...

Russell,

Hot showers at the end of the day, definitely the way to finish.
Going well, let those positive thoughts keep you moving,
Enjoy your weekend of running,

Kelvin

Diana said...

good thoughts.