Monday, May 18, 2009

Stage 30 - Bienenbüttel

Today's very long - 48 mile - stage was almost exclusively along the footpath of the Elbe-Side canal. It's a modern shipping canal, designed for transporting coal and other big stuff inland. The locks are as enormous as the huge barges plying up and down.

Running along a towpath sounds nice - flat, no cars, watery scenes - but as it turns out it's quite dull and soul-destroying. It seems to take absolutely ages to get anywhere. After the race, someone said to me "I had déja-vu fifty times today!"

Fortunately I had Christian Marti for company, so the 10 hours we spent didn't seem quite so endless. We were greeted at the finish by a nice big hall but wretchedly cold showers. Not the worse thing in the world, because in only 3 more days I can mark Germany complete for a second time. C'mon, Sweden!

5 comments:

alessandra said...

Aaargh! I can't imagine running 50 miles in a day, and repeating the next day, and next, next... wow! Well, congratulations! I hope some day I can run a humble half-marathon.
From your Brazilian friend - the one that runs little and slowly ;)

Marybeth Gavin said...

Russ...understand that even God occasionally rested, so you are exceeding divine limitations! Glad to hear you are well. Mb

muna said...

You know what is just fantastic about your blog? When you tell us about a hard, challenging run in the past tense becuase you are kicking butt out there! Great job getting it done, Russ. Stay safe and sane and keep on going!

ann said...

Gee Russ I go away for a couple of days only to find you've almost run across yet another country! I hope tomorrow brings you some better scenery and warm showers afterwards. I can't imagine a cold shower after a 10 hr day. Ugh. You are an inspiration to us all. Have a good day tomorrow!

Debbie said...

What on earth do you talk about while running for 10 hours 30 days in a row?