Monday, April 27, 2009

Stage 9 - Bellaria

Today's 45 miles was in two distinct and completely different halves - the first was very hilly, through some spectacular scenery just inland from the rocky coastline, and the second was a gale force windy half along the mainly deserted seafront, including the resort town of Rimini. Both were draining in their own way.

For our efforts, we were greeted at the finish by cold showers for the first time. But at least we're staying in a modern volleyball gym tonight.

Consecutive long days and hills are causing lots of shin splint issues, even amongst some of the leaders. I actually overtook one of the top ten guys in the final miles today, as he hobbled cursing to the finish. At least one more competitor has abandoned today, and I'm expecting more over the next two long stages.

I continue to eat well. Sore feet are my only real complaint. I'm going to experiment with a different pair in the morning, but will leave my current shoes with the 20k aid station folks, in case I need to switch back.

We leave the coast tomorrow - goodbye Adriatic! And after 9 stages, we're actually one seventh done. Good thoughts.

17 comments:

Barbara-Anne said...

You inspire!

Jan said...

I came across your blog over the weekend. Best of luck from a fellow Texan!

Ramsay said...

Glad your spirits are good, Russell-- in spite of cold showers and sore feet! I keep you in my thoughts each day-- Keep on truckin'-- one day at a time.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your blog every day, Russell. Amazing! I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to run 46 miles. I'm still recovering from our 12 mile run a few weeks ago! Haha!
Best of luck and stay healthy. And enjoy the scenery! Pam LeBlanc

Claire said...

Just got off the phone with you and you sound great!! Very positive and ready to take on tomorrow!! keep those happy thoughts flowing!
love Ya

Anonymous said...

Go Russ Go...

Anonymous said...

using you as inspiration (imagine that!) for my upcoming Half Marathon after months of heel issues

I'd advise you to hang in there and enjoy the scenery, but dang it, you're already there! Nice going Russ!

dmmmit

Adam Hanin said...

Russell :

Keep it up... I know you'll do all of us here at Hoover's proud!

Enjoy the cameraderie and scenery... and try to forget (if it's even possible) the blisters and swollen feet!

Best,

-Adam

Anonymous said...

Hi Russell! Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking about you. After seeing the pictures of your feet, we recommend you NOT come to our nail salon upon your return. :)

Take care,
Lisa & Wendy

Val said...

Good thoughts, indeed!

You are incredibly mentally strong. Keep floating!

Val

ann said...

Sounds like your plan is working Russ! Have a great 10th stage!

Chris Barton said...

A friend that I turned on to your blog told me just how breezy her daily 10 miles seems now. I bet there are lots of folks in Central Texas and beyond with you on their minds during their own daily runs. Here's hoping our collective good vibes give you a lift when you need it.

Jen Crover said...

I'm addicted to reading your blog every day now! I love hearing about the course and the conditions, it still boggles my mind that someone can actually run that mileage, but if anyone can do it - you can! Enjoy the experience!

Mike R said...

I'm a fellow Austinite, daily reader of your blog, and one of the many aspiring distance runners inspired by your feats and good attitude. Thanks for making the time to tell the world about your adventure!

Debbie said...

Couldn't they at least have found you guys some nice comfy bed and breakfasts along the way or something? The thought of bedding down in tents or gym floors after all of that running. Wow. If it wasn't for that aspect I would be jealous of you.

I'll send you the "no shin splint" ju-ju from Austin.

muna said...

Great job, Russ! Sounds like your training is paying off. That's great that you are able to eat well -- seems like your body is responding well to the effort. Keep on rocking it!

Sadie J said...

Keep it up Russ! Love from Austin!