Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Stage 4 - 162 miles done

A more scenic day today. Grey skies all day, but no rain. We ran parallel with the coast, with our first major climb into and out of the town of Vasto. Today's course was supposed to be 39 miles, but my GPS had it measured at over 40.

This is our second campsite night - another crowded bungalow, but with its own shower & toilet. Not too bad.

The race up front is starting to heat up. There are at least 8 very strong runners, who are already starting to duke it out. Three Germans are in the lead; I'm rooting for my Norwegian and Finnish friends, Trond and Janne. Predictably Hiroko is leading the women's field - one amazing runner. I, on the other hand, am probably enjoying the journey more than they all are, comfortable in the peleton and getting to know some new friends. I just wish my Japanese was better - but at least my Italian is improving!

OK, nap time for this tortoise!

8 comments:

Val said...

You're doing great!

Haiku for 162 miles done:

One year older, Russ
amazes all with his goal
toenail-less glory


Love you, man!

Val

David Mather said...

enjoyed reading your post today...sounds like your feeling strong and starting off well. Think ing about you. Stay strong....I decided to not work out until you finsish so all that saved eneregy can be sent to you mentally.....see the sacrafice I am willing to make for you.....

Claire said...

Sono così orgogliosa di voi. You are awesome. dormire bene

Love ya

Rob Secker said...

Does anyone else think "Slaire" should edit her profile so it says Claire?

Tom Beam said...

No because when I read it I pronounce it "Slayer."

Claire said...

ohhhhh I thought I was being clever...doh

Anonymous said...

"We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." - Will Rogers

Diana said...

Tell Hiroko & Trond hello & send them my best!

You are doing great! those toes look familiar...