Sunday, April 26, 2009

Stage 8 - Fano

A 46 mile day today. Very big hills for the first third into Ancona, then plenty of flat stuff along the seafront to Fano. During the day, the weather cooperated - again cool and cloudy - and there were nice tailwinds along the coast. Now, however, is not so good. Heavy rain and strong winds have blown in as I lie in my tent, as yet unwashed and unfed. I guess our good fortune had to come to and end sometime!

My running today felt good despite persistently sore feet and a couple of new, supersized blisters. Hopefully I can track Jan the medic down shortly, and get some treatment. I was running for 10 hours today. Although I'm tired, a lot seem in worse shape than I. We have four more of these longer days ahead too.

I'm eating well at the aid stations , which I think is helping me stay relatively strong. Today I concentrated on getting lots of bananas, as I think my potassium levels may be low. I washed them down with cheese & salt on crackers, tomatoes, apples, gherkins, salami sandwiches, peanuts, cake, chocolate, cookies, granola bars, apple juice and coke. Great diet, eh? Luckily my dental hygienist Michelle gave me some heavy duty fluoride toothpaste before I left!

Well, I'm off to brave the elements in search of food, and hopefully a shower. Thanks for all the kind comments from friends, family, former co-workers, Rogue runners, and anyone else who's following along. It really helps me through the long hours on the road.

4 comments:

Charles said...

Lovely feet!

MaratonTürk said...

Congratulations Russel...
Do not worry, you successfuly will complete this extraordinary supermarathon.

Keithly said...

Russ,
I don't know how you do it. I'm inspired. Thanks for all the updates. It's fun to follow along...from the comfort of my own home:) Keep floating along.
Keithly

Val said...

Amazing, Russ! Still working on a haiku installment for you....

Val