Saturday, April 25, 2009

Stage 7 - Porto Recanati

One week successfully finished. Here's what feet look like after a 272 mile week! Both are pretty swollen, and so I've moved up a shoe size. Jan my medic friend has done a good job preventing infection in the two blistered toes. Last night I slept with my toes bathed in iodine, and wearing a rubber glove...on my left foot! Curiouser and curiouser.

Today was an OK but fairly long stage - 45 miles. The weather cooperated - cool at the start, then a mix of sunny and cloudy. As today is a national holiday in Italy, truck traffic was much diminished, but there were loads of holidaymakers all along the seafront which made for quite a bit of dodging and diving. I again ran most of the day with Jean-Hervé - our paces and temperaments are quite compatible. My legs and feet felt good til halfway, but then started to feel tired towards the end. Fancy that!

Two more days along the coast, then we'll start to venture inland towards hills and eventually Alps. But I'm getting ahead of myself - one slow day at a time. Oh, and I understand from rumour that we've had our first two "abandons". :( I'm expecting more with 3 very long days ahead.

9 comments:

Misti Neese said...

Enjoying the updates Russ! I'm worn out from our Relay For Life last night so I can't even begin to fathom how you feel. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Keep on truckin' Russ, thanks for the great updates. Sending you positive juju.
Cathy Bridge

Anonymous said...

Great performace so far Russel. Never give up this. The feeling that you are going to have when you arrive Nordkapp going to be "behind this world"!

Greeting from Norway

Bjoern Hytjanstorp

Claire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claire said...

Those feet scream...I NEED AN ICE BATH !!!

Unknown said...

Good luck on the hills.The right foot looked a little more swollen.

silke said...

Russ, Nelan and I are so proud of you! You totally rock. Keep running. Mind over body.

Rob Secker said...

jeeeeez .. i hope the feet get better....

一路平安!

Ramsay said...

Russell--
My pregnant feet look kinda like yours! Guess we both have some pretty good reasons for some pretty ugly feet right now.
Keep your chin up-- We are all routing for you--
Ramsay