Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stage 12 - Ostiglia

An amazing day! It started inauspiciously; cold, windy and rainy. I was very tired at first from yesterday, and just slogged through the first 15 miles. Then, suddenly, the course headed onto a bridge...which turned out to be across the River Po. A truly dramatic sight - at least 3/4 mile wide, and extremely flooded. Water and flotsam was flying downstream beneath us. But it got even better.

Our course took us along the towpath on the other bank for about 5 miles. There, suddenly, off on the horizon, were unmistakably snow-capped Alps. After nearly two weeks of toil getting to this point, it suddenly all seemed worth it! I got quite choked up. I know it'll take us a couple more days before we start climbing, but if I was Hannibal, I'd be putting in the elephant order now!

I was done running before 1pm, so had plenty of time for miserably cold showers, laundry, and a walk to town for a kebab (well, not too veggie, but I really need protein). Today's 31 miles were much nicer than tomorrow's 43!

5 comments:

MW said...

Russ, keep up the great running.
I look forward to your posts everyday, and am thrilled to read them every morning! (Austin Time)

No more photos?

JohnF said...

This journey is amazing and inspiring.

Kami K said...

Greetings from Corpus Christi, Russ. I cannot begin the day without first reading your daily reports which are all amazing & inspiring. I am very proud of you indeed. Kami

Alma said...

Great strategy....thank you for taking us along on your journey...

kirsten said...

Great to have an inspiring day. Keep up the good work!!