Sunday, June 14, 2009

Stage 57 - Karesauno

After 24 days, we finally got to the end of Sweden today, with a shorter 34-mile stage to this border town. Next, a single stage through Finland, and then 6 quite lengthy days in Norway.

Finishing is not guaranteed, even this late into the race. Jurg König apparently had heart problems early in today's stage, and had to abandon. So sad and disappointing, with so much distance travelled.

I ran much of today with Christian Marti. Things started well, but we got dismally soaked for the last 10 miles, and I became quite hypothermic. The great news is that his wife Orsele met us at the finish line, and drove us to their hotel, where I was able to get a room for the night. The hot shower I just took was luxury, as was the jumbo-sized bag of potato chips I just ate. Now it's naptime in clean sheets....aaaaaah!

4 comments:

camgage said...

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

Anonymous said...

hot shower and clean sheets!? This is starting to sound like a holiday! ;-)

Tracey said...

oops I forgot to put my name above....it has been a long day (though not as long as yours!) Txx

MW said...

Hey! I resent the dissing of my motherland! hahah

Hi Russ, i spent the day wedd-eating and moving rocks, then hoped in a river to cool off. When i got back in my car it said 109 degrees in the sun. Upon parking my car at home, then temp was still 101. please provide mailing address, and i'll send you a couple of jars of ridiculously warm air!

Glad to hear about the hotel!
Have a good run, and I can't wait to hear about the finnish language signs you see on the road!

Mike Wilen