Sunday, June 07, 2009

Stage 50 - Sorsele

Today's 45 miles will now be followed by two even longer stages of 53 and 60 miles. These are hellacious distances on fresh legs - in our weary state, they are really daunting.

I ran most of today's stage with my Dutch friend Ubel. He's a former 24-hour champion of Holland, so I have to work a bit too hard to keep up. We were mourning the abandoning yesterday of Jenni de Groot, who had developed a really serious and painful stress fracture in her hip socket. She is a very strong lady, and it was very sad that she was forced to stop after so long.

Like most of us, I'm hanging in there. "Only two weeks to go" sounds much easier than the reality of the distance and conditions ahead ... but the problem has to be tackled one day at a time.

Today's black humor - "How do you know it's summertime in Lappland? It only snows once a day." Yes, snow again - but little rain and less headwinds at least.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Tackle it any way you need to, Russ. One day at a time, one hour at a time, one mile at a time. Just get it done. *hug*

Ramsay said...

50 days done-- wow-- awesome--
Sending you some energy and courage from Austin--
love, Amy, Ramsay, and Jude

muna said...

I'll trade you the snow for our heat for a few days! :) Great job, Russell. You're getting it done.

MW said...

Hey Russ, I landed in Austin last night and it was ridiculous hot. Mid 90's apparently are the norm here. You don't want that!

I checked weather for Sorelse for Monday: 8am - 41F then rising to 50 for the day. Rain in the Am then partly cloudy. same thing for Arvidsjaur, and then Tuesday its says Sunny skies and a high of 60F! hope that warms you up!

stay strong!

Unknown said...

Stay strong my friend, one footfall at a time, one day at a time. Cathy Bridge

Claire said...

I saw a photo of you from yesterday and you looked great.
and no listing! woot

Here is the link to the daily results and photos for anyone not aware it exists!
http://www.transeurope-footrace.org/tel_09/index.php?lan=en&page=TEFR09&content=Wertungen

Anonymous said...

Russ, Stay strong.I wish I could loan you some body fat to help handle the cold.A. Brock

Cheryl said...

Hi Russ! You're hanging tough so keep it up. As you said, it's the homestretch now!

I ran my first real 25k trail race this weekend and it was a blast! I was thinking about you and the Zen zone during the run (which is a great way to zone out, trip, and go flying). I got lost only once and managed to not fall at all. :-) I'll be doing that again soon. Pure, unbridled running fun.

Scott Mc said...

Two weeks is within the countdown. We're all with ya Russ. Move forward and stay strong.

Kami K. said...

In two weeks, we will be reading about your crossing the finish line. You are THE MAN!

camgage said...

Russ,
I just sent your story to a bunch of folks. Know that you are being carried by many more hearts and minds now who believe you are crazy and amazing!

Cameron