Friday, June 12, 2009

Stage 55 - Svappavaara

Svappavaara - see what I mean about Scrabble hands? - and that doesn't even include the Lapp version of the name which is usually a few syllables longer!



Today's 47 miles is followed by yet another 50 miler tomorrow. Everyone's decidedly worn out, physically and mentally. It rained, and a strong, cold headwind kicked in for most of the day. Even traffic was surprisingly heavy. But only 9 more days to go!



The bad news is that two more folks had to abandon today. Mike Friedl had fought leg injuries since we arrived in Sweden, and finally couldn't continue. And Fabrice Viaud developed a bad infection in his hand, and has been hospitalized. Very bad for these guys after making it so far. Now 47 of the original 68 are still in the race - but this is a much lower dropout rate than I'd estimated.



And finally, today's wildlife count: zero.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

In the single digits now! Wow, only 9 more days. Hang in there. Be tough. You will finish.

It must be a heartbreaker to come so close and not be able to complete the journey. My heart goes out to your companions who had to leave the race.

Tracey said...

WOO HOO!! Single digits!! Go dad!! Txx

Markus said...

Great job Russell in this nasty weather.
Only 9 more days is easy to write on a computer. It's still 406 miles!

Run slow and save

Hello from sunny Colorado
Markus

Unknown said...

Russell -- You're freaking amazing! Only 9 more days. Unbelievable. You can absolutely do it! Can't wait to buy you a beer when you get back.

Folks I work with and my running group keep up with you through me and through the blog. Everyone is curious about what your feet must look like at this point. :)

Claire said...

The count down from 9 never sounded so sweet !!

I hope your weather improves if not at least your sunny positive attitude will still shine!!

Gay.(says Tom)

Lori J. said...

WOOOHOOOO! GO Terminator!!! GO

Katie Bullard said...

Ubelievable Russell! What an inspiration to us all. Pretty soon, it will be over, and it will have felt like it just flew by!

Kevin said...

keep it up Russ!!! you're doing great.

Unknown said...

I've been catching up on your blogs and the comments, but you've been in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you're still in the race and going strong.

Somebody said it earlier, but it's true -- you're a real inspiration. I've been having a lot of pain in my leg when I walk or stand, and sometimes I feel sorry for myself. But then I think of what you're doing and how much pain you're in and how you keep going, and it helps ME keep going! Thanks.

Diane Lee

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read the book!!

You're amazing -- and are almost there.

Becky Waldo

MW said...

Nice job Russ, hope you get lucky with weather for today's run!
(Saturday)

At some point you should start looking for Elk too, I think!

Then after that, some dude is a red suit and a long beard.

Guess what, Man U sold Ronaldo to Real Madrid for a record 131million pounds. (still don't know if you like football, but I reckon it's a good guess!)

Anonymous said...

Since you alluded to the Bridget Jones' diaries, will you please start including you daily weight and how many cigarettes you smoked along with the daily reindeer count? Seen Santa yet? You are amazing!
Spann Clan