Saturday, June 06, 2009

Stage 49 - Storuman

Seven weeks done - 15 stages left (7 of them over 50 miles). Today's 42 mile stage became 44 miles, because of a last minute change of accommodation, but worth it because ... it's a hotel! Only 3 of us sharing a room with a shower and toilet. Luxury.

Another very cold day, with rain, sleet and snow thrown in from time to time. Between my circulation problems and my now total absence of body fat, I'm really struggling with the cold. Despite being heavily dressed, I just can't manage to warm up. Even running harder doesn't make me warm. So I grit my teeth and push on. I've heard that the weather should improve in upcoming days, but I'll wait and see. "Arctic Circle" and "heatwave" seldom appear together.

Two things I've seen loads of here in Sweden - vintage American cars in wonderful condition, and trampolines (there's one in almost every other yard). It's odd what you notice when you have plenty of time to reflect.

4 comments:

Charles said...

49 down 15 to go! Wow. Am very glad to see you are running and feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Russ, bring back one of those vintage American cars in wonderful condition, please!

Congratulations on such a great accomplishment! Your friends here in Austin will make sure we help you replace some of that body fat as soon as you get home, one longneck at a time!

Ed B.

Unknown said...

Did you see anybody jumping on the trampolines? I think that could be some great entertainment.

Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are still doing well. Running in snow, huh? That does not sound fun to this native Texan. Only 2 weeks left - hang in there!

Lisa M.