Saturday, June 13, 2009

Stage 56 - Övre Soppero

Another "day at the office" completed - it really is beginning to feel like work! Weekend days like today are great - almost no traffic - and no rain either, so just cold headwinds, but much better than yesterday's trifecta of all three.

Fifty more miles disposed of, and nothing more than sore feet to complain about. Not too hilly either. I've opted to camp in the cold tonight, as the gym is cramped and therefore noisy. I'll take my chance with the Himalaya sleeping bag I purloined from my son, Tom (thanks, bud!)

Tomorrow is our last day in Sweden, before a brief sojourn through Finland. I suspect it'll be hard to tell the difference, with almost nothing but trees, lakes, and a two-lane highway. My reindeer count was one today, so no high marks for wildlife thus far.

A quick update on the French runner Fabrice Viaud I posted about yesterday. The staph infection in his hand was very serious. He immediately had one surgery in Gällivare, and will have another tomorrow to remove antibiotic implants. I understand they had to cut away small parts of his finger - a day or two's delay could've been much more serious. I heard he'll be in hospital for several more days. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The countdown has certainly begun...well it began when I started singing, 64 bottles of beer on the wall, take one down, pass it around, 63 bottles of beer on the wall...so now we're down to just over a 6 pack.
Godspeed Russ!
Cathy Bridge

Tom Beam said...

Yeah, that sleeping bag was a real life saver. When we would wake up it would remind me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber when he goes "Here, take this extra pair of gloves, my hands are starting to get a little sweaty."

HOWEVER, because you're out of town we missed the father-son golf tournament today. The only way you can make up for it is if you win. The whole thing.

Good luck, pops.

Anonymous said...

Down to a little over a week, friend! Just remember, reindeer are a good source of protein!

Ed B.