Monday, June 08, 2009

Stage 51 - Arvidsjaur

I slept badly last night due to raging heartburn, which lasted well into the first half of today's 53 mile stage. I've since discovered a couple of other folks complaining of similar symptoms, so maybe it was something in last night's dinner? That's always a very real fear, that some nasty bug will run amok through our weakened immune systems.

But otherwise, the miles ticked off quite well, and I was done in a shade over 11 hours. After aid station #1, I didn't see another runner all day, things have become so spaced out. What I did see though was my first herd of reindeer, about 100 yards off the road. Quite a thrill. The landscape has become more dramatic and interesting - implying, of course, hillier - but with reasonable weather like we had today (no snow!), it was nice to gaze upon.

Tomorrow's stage is an ungodly 60 miles, but at least everything's working for me. A 13-hour sufferfest, with the Arctic Circle crossing to look forward to the following day.

9 comments:

alma said...

Way to go Russ!!

Anonymous said...

So I'm clear that there will be no complaints about the summer heat upon your return to Texas?
Love ya man!

dmmmit said...

just don't run with jingle bells in your head for 60 miles :)

Keep your steady on!

Anonymous said...

You go, Russ! You know, reindeer are a good source of protein. And they taste like chicken... :)

Ed B.

Anonymous said...

will you look out for Santa and put in a good word for me when you find him. Way to go Russ. We're looking forward to having you back in Austin soon.
June

Helen Yang said...

Hi Russ!

Here's hoping you'll have the wind at your back the rest of the way (and no snow).

You are such an inspiration. Every time I get frustrated, I think to myself, "Russ is running across Europe - you can do this".

You have incredible strength not only physical but in mind, heart and spirit. We can all learn a lot from you.

See you when you get back to Austin!

Val said...

By the time you read this, you'll have finished those brutish 60 miles!

I've caught up on your amazing blog after a week's trip to California for Mod Green Pod. Needless to say, I remain amazed at your physical and mental accomplishments. So proud of my friend Russ! Can't wait to see you to celebrate.

Val

Unknown said...

Reindeer definitely doesn't taste like chicken, more like elk, but I hear it's prone to causing heartburn. HMMM.

Thanks for continuing to keep me entertained back here in Austin everyday with your exploits! Keep it up, you're getting closer and closer!

Barbara-Anne said...

Unfreakingbelievable! (Almost looks like a Swedish word, huh?) Your progress & trip reports are as mind-bending as a Tim Burton movie. And while you're in snow crossing the Arctic Circle, we're melting in 95-degree heat & humidity. When you get cold, try to think about sitting in a car in the Hoover's parking lot at the end of the day ... seatbelt metal leaves burn marks on your hand if you happen to touch it ... temp gauge reads 108 F ... Are ya feeling it now?

Relax & float,
BA