Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Stage 46 - Strömsund

Well, that was a very long, cold 50-mile stage we just completed. I layered up and even wore Goretex ski gloves, but biting northerly headwinds, hail and even a little snow made for a very testing and at times bitterly cold day. (One of the Japanese guys ran in a T-shirt - I was almost hypothermic - I just don't get it!) As I've done a lot recently, I ran most of the stage with Christian Marti from Switzerland. We finished in a little over 10 hours, and were quite pleased with our pace.

Last night in Lit was music filled. While we ate dinner, kids from the school performed on a stage - they were really quite good. Then, as we got ready for bed in the gym, a relative of one of the Norwegian runners started playing guitar and singing folk songs...and then switched to belting out some great Janis Joplin. It almost felt like Austin.

Only 7 days to the Arctic Circle! And no, passports aren't required to be shown as we cross European borders (per the Schengen agreement). Very civilized...and reasonable.

8 comments:

alma said...

Wow...your pace for today sounds awesome especially with the challenging weather...Way to go Russ.

Peter Poulin said...

Must be something in the psyche of an ultrarunner that can make 7 days from the Arctic Circle feel like Austin (with all due respect to Ms Joplin). Be happy you are not running in Austin -- as you know, we have now passed into that 4-5 month period of 90+ degree days. Not alot of fun if you are trying to put 50 miles behind you, I suspect! Enjoy the brisk and invigorating climate.

Unknown said...

Keep bundling up and pay no attention to the crazy Japanese running in t-shirts. Just ask any of the Norwegians, there is no such thing as bad weather, only being poorly dressed.

Diane and I were discussing how amazing you are today when I saw her at Pure. Keep it up, you're getting closer and closer!

Unknown said...

Russell,
I have been following your adventure the whole way since Tom reminded me that you were doing this. I am absolutely amazed! Nancy and I are going to do a "big" motorcycle trip in a couple of weeks and the distance you are covering on foot would intimidate us on the bikes! You are truly an inspiration and an example of what can be done if you just put your mind to it. We will keep you in our thoughts as you approach the finish line.

Anonymous said...

Almost there...we have faith in you and your abilies...keep up & keep on...Austin is just up around the bend.
Okies

MK said...

Hey Russ!!! School has gotten in the way but I finally remembered to check your blog and tried to play catch up reading some entries just now... all I can say is I'm so amazed at your stamina, both physical and mental! I'm going to start thinking of you pushing on mile after mile when I feel like I just can't study anymore :) You are a true inspiration! I hope we can catch up at Town Lake sometime after you return! Anyway, keep on trucking and I hope you thoroughly enjoy this amazing journey you're on!!!
-Meghan K.

dmmmit said...

We just got home from the Summer Sunstroke Stampede 5K, 90F at the start. Turned on the TV weather and there was an ugly Austin summer word on top in big letters: HOT!!

Make sure you take in enough protein to crank some heat. You're gliding right on to the finish. Awesome!!

Lori said...

You are an amazing man, Russell!
I have said this before but I will say it again, I really do think you are part "Terminator" :)