Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Stage 45 - Lit

Today's stage to Lit was a good one for me. The route took us off the E45 for most of the day, and instead we passed alongside a gorgeous lake with snow-capped mountains beyond. Finally we crossed the lake by bridge, to the town of Östersund, the geographic center of Sweden. We are now officially in the north.

The weather is as Mark Twain described New England's - if you don't like it, wait an hour! We had biting headwinds, strong tailwinds, sun, rain, hail, clouds, everything but snow.

The school we're staying at tonight has been very hospitable. I was invited to speak to an English class with a cool teacher, which was fun. One of the students, Richard, proved to be a very accomplished juggler, who entertained us in the gym.

8 comments:

Charles said...

Welcome to the North! Time to start counting down yet?

Debbie said...

I was just thinking...do you have to show a passport as you went from country to country?

Tom Beam said...

Is everyone depressed in Sweden because Saab is going down the tubes? You always talk about Volvos but never Saabs. Is it kind of like Saab:Sweden::Foster's:Australia?

MW said...

what are they feeding you in this country?
I'm curious if you've had anythig other than potatoes.
Thought of you today as i was watching the weather and it looks like you guys are getting spared from the real crappy I'll get here in the south tomorrow.
also got sun, wind, rain, but no hail.
this Saturday is Sweden's National day, so maybe you'll get a good party out of it at the finish.
keep up the good work, russ!

Tom, not to steal Russ' thunder but im in sweden and watched the news the last two days. people are pretty nervous about saab and hoping Government Motors finds a buyer for saab soon.

Tracey said...

Hey dad, I just got back from 4 mile run - yes you read that correctly,me running 4 miles. When I felt really tired and wanted to walk I thought of you and the number of miles you ran today and I felt a bit pathetic so I kept on running. We are all cheering you on and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!
Love Tracey, Oli, Isabella and Benji xx

Claire said...

I was chatting to a friend today and she said "he's still running"?????

She was funny to watch trying to process that fact. Non runners think you are completely crazy and runners think you are kinda crazy.

But we are all wishing you the best and willing your legs to just keep going...you are almost there.

Love ya

Misti Neese said...

Hey Russ, just wanted to say hi and keep up the great work! I am now packing about 35 extra pounds and am 5 weeks away from my due date. I get winded just walking across the parking lot these days so I can not even imagine doing what you are doing! Of course anytime I start to feel tired, I can think of you for motivation to keep on moving!

-Misti

Scott Mc said...

Yes. He's still running! Go Russ Go!