Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ireland - Stage 8

Today's stage was really hard, even compared to 7 already hard stages. A fierce headwind all day, with some cold driving rain and busy traffic thrown in, made it very little fun. Everyone was glad to be done.

I averaged 10 minutes/mile, after reaching the marathon distance in 4hr20mins. A pleasing time given the conditions, but I don't think I did enough to preserve my second place overall ranking, as Chris finished a quarter of an hour before me, but I know I needed to save something for the next two long, mountainous stages.

Claire struggled emotionally today, but finished strong and enjoyed some good food and a hot shower at the finish. Bliss. Her Achilles tendons are now both sore, but I'm confident she'll make it to Saturday's finish.

Today was a sad running day for me. I learned last night of the untimely death of a fine former co-worker, Kathleen Kelly. Life is not at all fair. Kathleen will be greatly missed.



Location:Dromina

1 comment:

Matthew said...

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Hang in there Russ. If it were easy everyone would be doing it! You and Claire are truly inspirational!!!

This weekend I plan to drink some Irish Whiskey to celebrate your accomplishment!!