Sunday, April 22, 2012

Stage 9 to Nogaro

What a day! Patrick said at the pre-race briefing that it'd be 40% mud today. He was spot on, and here's a shot of my shoes to prove it:



Luckily I took my new ski poles for their first outing - they saved my life! It rained heavily and repeatedly, and the path became a quagmire of epic proportions.

The 40-mile stage ended in another first for me - in a bullring! I guess this part of Gascony still practices this "sport", but at least it's the bloodless kind here:



I was only lost once today, as I left the unfortunately named town of Condom. Spotting the trail signs is often pretty tricky here, especially with fatigue, rain, barking dogs, and a hundred other distractions.

Four runners have abandonned thus far. I'm tired but uninjured, and so fairly confident I can stagger through the last three days.

Location:Impasse des Cordeliers,Nogaro,France

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This must bring back memories of school cross country running in England. Keep it going Russ - almost ready for the final sprint home. Dave B.