Thursday, April 12, 2012

One ancient town

The initial success of the train journey from Lyon in the last post quickly degenerated. Work on the tracks forced us from our lovely TGV onto a local train, and then to a local shuttle bus. The natives were most unhappy about the 90 minutes it added to the journey. I quite enjoyed visiting about a dozen tiny stations along the headwaters of the Loire. I must say that the countryside is now sublime and anything but flat. It's trying to rain, but can't quite make up its mind. By Saturday, I'm sure it will have decided.



I warmed up my legs with a serious climb up to the cathedral. It's spectacularly old, as are all of its surrounding buildings.






Now I'm taking on some replacement fluids and a locally produced pink recovery drink, with a little (highly recommended) Petit Polignac cheese to keep it company.




Location:Le Puy En Velay

No comments: