Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Only Lyon




You have to love easyJet and all those other cheapo airlines. When I arrived to check in today, I was told that because my suitcase was 3 kilograms over the limit, I would have to pay an extra £30 ($50). But by moving my air mattress to my carry-on backpack...voila...£0 extra! Same weight, same plane fuel. But despite that bizarre incident, I'm here and very grateful to them for an on-time arrival into Lyon at a staggering low price.



So here's the Rhone, which runs through the centre of Lyon, and then on down to the Mediterranean. A couple of hours' walk around this interesting city was a good antidote to a day crammed into planes, trains and airports.



I particularly liked this piece of art near the town hall. It reminded me of all the early mornings during Trans Europe when I and my fellow suffers lay on gym floors with our legs in the air before each stage, willing the fluid to leave our swollen feet and return to the rest of our bodies.

Tomorrow morning I take another train, this time to Le Puy, and then get ready for things to finally get underway on Saturday. A shopping trip to buy some ski poles is on the agenda for Le Puy. I'm not sure about using them for running/walking, but I've heard that they're useful as a way to keep some distance between runners and snarly dogs along the trail. I've never run armed before - another first.

Location:Rue Professeur Weill,Lyon,France

No comments: