Tuesday, July 31, 2012

London Olympics 2012

My day spent at the Olympics today was fascinating and very impressive. The logistics were brilliantly organized - travel was a snap, and the signage, facilities, helpful people, etc. first class. The only small issue arose over my two boxes of Ribena (a blackcurrant drink familiar to all Brits) which the airport screener types wanted to confiscate from me. But after demonstrating the harmlessness of their contents, they allowed me and them to pass through Checkpoint Charlie unhindered.
The ExCel arena (home to boxing, judo, fencing, etc.) is vast and beautifully decked out. I skillfully avoided the $8 beer concession and $40 souvenir T-shirts, and took my seat in the near to capacity boxing arena. I had brought my own sandwiches to avoid more egregious pricing, and sipped my Ribenas in peace.
Boxing ran well to schedule, and a number of very fit young men punched each other hard and frequently. After about ten bouts, I'd had enough, so made my way back through the happy, well-behaved crowds homewards.
Oh, and by the way, they don't accept MasterCard...

2 comments:

Claire said...

A non CocaCola drink and non Mickey D's food...tsk, tsk, tsk. Always the rebel !

Christian said...

Boxing? Did you learn anything useful to complete your running skills? Improving your chances in a dash to the finish line? So, dear fellow runners, be aware of Russ the fighter!