Thursday, July 08, 2010

Baltic-Run 2010 - Two weeks 'til Berlin


Claire and I have another few days of humid, sweaty training in Austin before we begin a loosely defined "taper". On July 21, we fly to London for 24 hours, before flying on to Berlin. Hopefully hurricanes, British Airways strikes and volcanic ash will not conspire to mess up our plans too badly.


We will be running an average of 40 miles a day for 5 days in Germany, along with 64 other runners and 7 stage racers. The Baltic-Run race starts in the center of Berlin, and passes due north to the Baltic Sea, mainly along the course of the Berlin-Usedom Radweg (bike path). I know at least 10 of the other runners; I'm really looking forward to meeting up with them all again. We're very happy too that we will be accompanied by our good Texas friend Leah, who will be cycling much of the route and providing us with support along the way.


My right knee has been troubling me a lot during training recently. At times, it REALLY hurts, and it affects my hamstrings, sciatic nerve, glutes, SI joint and back. My informed self-diagnosis is osteoarthritis, as this is the surgically repaired knee I injured white water rafting 15 years ago. The Baltic-Run will be a test to see whether I will be able to continue running long distances, or instead have to hang it up in favor of something less load bearing like cycling. We'll see.

No comments: