Saturday, July 27, 2013

Orléans - Océan day 1

Today's low point: Strong winds, lightning, thunder and pouring rain at 4 a.m. Lying in our puny tents under big trees felt like we were auditioning for The Wizard of Oz. Scary stuff...but thankfully the weather calmed down in time for our 7 a.m. start.

Today's high point for me was at about 45km, when my brain suddenly registered that today's stage was "only" 59km (36 miles), not 69km (43 miles). That was good news indeed. I had run the first marathon a bit too fast in a shade under 4 hours, and was not looking forward to another 17 miles on tired legs.

Claire did well, but found the high temperatures and humidity a challenge. She finished the stage with new friends Annick and Bernard, and was happy to be done. I ran alone comme d'habitude - I don't like my pace and effort level decided by others.

Apart from the heat, it was a very nice stage. The Loire is as lovely as I remembered it from last year, but the paths are busier with cyclists as the race is taking place a week later than the 2012 edition.

Resting now in my sauna-like tent before another sumptuous dinner provided by our wonderful, resourceful chef Clara. Tonight she's feeding 50 people a 3-course meal using only a small portable cooker, a single gas ring and a microwave. How is that possible?!



1 comment:

Cédric Vaugeois said...

French are always good at cooking !