Wednesday, January 13, 2021



It has been a long while since I last blogged. The reason is that between 2016 and 2019 I tumbled inexorably into serious physical and mental ill-health. I ceased to be an Ultrarunner - or indeed any kind of runner - as my spine leaked fluid and my brain sagged southward into my spinal column. I was beset with all manner of unpleasant symptoms like crushing headaches, dementia, hyper-somnolence, lack of balance, taste, and smell. Only advanced radiology and neurosurgery saved me from a very early demise. I owe my doctors and family everything, and realise that every day is a gift.


The surgical repair to my spine took place in Los Angeles nearly two years ago now. Considering how unwell I had become, my recovery was remarkably rapid and good, but it took months before I could once again run more than very short distances without falling over. Now I am able to cover 5 or 6 miles each morning, albeit at a very gentle pace. I am indeed very fortunate.


https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marathons-Madness-Mastermind-fall-Ultrarunner-ebook/dp/B0874VZHL1


 

No comments: