Friday, March 23, 2012

England at its finest!

Today was probably the finest March day ever on the south coast of England. Clear blue skies, no wind, the Channel impersonating a millpond, and balmy temps in the sixties. We walked along the safety rail-free cliffs, inhaled sarnies and scoffed copious cups of tea and scones with clotted cream and jam (I love you, fat and sugar!)



Tonight we're staying in a shabby hotel by the semi-derelict pier in seedy Eastbourne. Pigeons are trying to force their way into our room, through the window I've propped open with a coat hanger. We will run a hilly trail marathon starting at 9 a.m. tomorrow through some beautiful landscapes, and again fair weather is predicted.

I've been to Eastbourne twice before - once after running for 19 hours along the South Downs Way, the other time to see Elvis Costello playing at the Pier. (I've mentioned this fact a couple of times but I seem to be the only one excited about this. C'mon - it was a classic gig in his heyday - he even had to walk off distraught halfway through "Allison". I mean.)



Tomorrow night, I'm speaking at an EnduranceLife Lecture in Eastbourne. My only nervousness is due to the nature of the audience - they've paid hard-earned money to hear what I have to say, and I'd hate to disappoint.

Location:Sussex

No comments: